There are affiliate links in many of the posts on this site. This means your purchase supports myself, my business, and my family when you click through to buy - at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Today’s guest post is by Donna Marie of Clancy’s Classroom. She’s going to share how to bring books to life, specially for the book Elmer the Patchwork Elephant.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Read my entire disclosure statement here.
This first lesson is geared toward Kindergarten and 1st grade students. First, they will listen to the story Elmer the Patchwork Elephant.
- Teacher cuts out Elmer Image for students to glue onto their papers or copy onto cardstock and make tracers for the students to trace Elmer onto their papers
- Have students draw an environment for Elmer and color
- Have students add Elmer and glue their patchwork squares on Elmer
Click on the link for more – Teaching Ideas and Download Elmer Image
Create your own bag of “Diversity Munchies”
Set out: Sandwich baggies, an assortment of munchies, scoops
Talk about the different textures (soft, crunchy), color/s, taste (sweet, salty) of each individual food and how they are a great snack on their own but when combining them together, they make a SUPER, EXCITING snack for their taste buds!
Have each child put 1 scoop of ANY combination of munchies into their bags.
When their bag is nearly full, seal it and SHAKE IT until they have a well-mixed bag of “Diversity Munchies”
Munchie List Ideas:
Raisins, Popcorn, Nuts, Teddy Shaped Graham Crackers, Potato Sticks, Small Marshmallows, Pretzels, Rice/Corn Cereal Squares, Goldfish, Cheerios, Grated Parmesan Cheese (keep in mind any allergies or school policies when buying food)
What You Need:
Canned Pineapple Slices, Small Paper Plates, String Cheese, A Variety of Colorful Sprinkles, Maraschino Cherries, Can Opener, Plastic Knife
- Drain juice from canned Pineapple slices
- Place 1 ring on a plate and slice in half
- Turn halves around to make curved Butterfly Wings
- Unwrap String cheese and cut in half
- Place half a string cheese between the body of the wings
- Place a whole cherry as the Butterfly head
- Decorate wings with sprinkles
Happy Reading and Creating!
Donna Marie from Clancy’s Classroom