There are affiliate links in many of the posts on this site. This means your purchase supports myself, my business, and my family when you click through to buy - at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
I’m always looking for engaging activities for word work with older elementary students, and I think I hit the jackpot again! This activity has students come up with a list of words that have one concept in similar. This concept may be parts of speech, verb tenses, rhymes, synonyms/antonyms, and the list could go on and on. Here are a few examples of my students’ work.
- Group students into “teams” (or you could play as individuals)
- Project one card at a time onto board (saves paper!)
- Have teams quietly discuss and write answer on whiteboard
- After one minute, teams show their answers
- A point is given to each team with the correct answer
- Team with the most points at the end “wins” (although all in my class were given a small prize – something I don’t do too often!)