These SUBTRACTION pumpkin puzzles are a great way for students to get some fun subtraction practice in. Use them for fall or Halloween math activities, centers, or game. With a no prep option – these are the perfect last minute resource for your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade classroom or homeschool students. Print and digital options included!
LOOKING TO SAVE SOME MONEY? THIS PUMPKIN PUZZLE IS PART OF A YEAR ROUND BUNDLE. GRAB IT NOW TO SAVE MORE THAN 30%!
WHAT YOU GET:
- Three easier PDF pumpkin puzzles (12 pieces each) with 17 problems to match
- Three harder PDF pumpkin puzzle options (19 pieces each) with 29 subtraction problems for facts 0-20
- No Prep options of the six PDF puzzles above
- No Prep digital puzzles compatible with Google Slides of all six puzzles
- Two editable rubric options
- There is a puzzle mat with the actual puzzle pieces so students can put their pieces over the top OR a blank outline as a guide, but not direct help. Use these for students who need a bit more support with the puzzle shape.
- You also get writing prompts to use with this shape. I recommend sharing a prompt with the class and putting these up behind or beside the completed puzzle as hall or bulletin board displays.
WANT AN EDITABLE PUMPKIN YOU CAN USE FOR ANY SUBJECT OR GRADE LEVEL? CLICK HERE TO GRAB IT NOW!
HOW CAN THESE PUZZLES BE USED?
- Centers, stations, or rotations
- Review of subtracting skills
- Early or fast finishers
- GATE (gifted and talented education)
- Worksheet alternatives
- Critical thinking skills
- Student, partner, or small group collaboration
- Distance learning via Google Slides puzzle options
- anytime during fall, autumn, Halloween, or Thanksgiving
TEACHERS WHO HAVE USED THIS RESOURCE HAVE SAID:
- These puzzles have been a HUGE hit!
- I love this fun way to practice subtraction.
- I love the look on the kid’s faces when they think it’s a piece of cake to put together! It really requires some critical thinking…LOVE all your puzzles!
- Great way to add some critical thinking skills into fluency practice!
- Print on orange paper and they are great for centers!
OTHER RESOURCES YOU MAY ENJOY
If you want a subtraction puzzle you can use at ANY time of year, check out this set of Subtraction Magic Square Puzzles.
Let your students practice their subtraction facts with these fun Pumpkin Shaped Subtraction Math Center Puzzles. They are perfect for fall math centers! Each of the six PDF puzzles will have students match different subtraction problems by matching the puzzle pieces that contains 0-20 facts.
There are two options for the PDF puzzles. One option is each of the six puzzles in its full pumpkin shape. The other option is the puzzle pieces separate so students do not know the final shape. These “cut out” sheets are meant to be given directly to the students to cut out and put together so they don’t know the shape. These will be more challenging. Plus they are no prep – just print and go!
Plus you also get a digital option where all six puzzles are available in Google Slides. Assign the page you want each student to have – perhaps via Google Classroom – and they can complete it virtually with no copying needed!
An editable PowerPoint file has been included as a center rubric. A full page option and half page option are both included. Print these out for immediate use, or change the wording and format to fit the needs of YOUR students.
Want even more puzzles like these? Check out this division set, this addition set, or this multiplication set!
This will help address Common Core State Standards 1.OA.C.6 and 2.OA.B.2
These puzzles are meant to be somewhat of a challenge. Students will have to keep in mind the shape of the pumpkin. The middle pieces will be the most challenging. Tell students to rotate them around until they fit. This is where their critical thinking skills will come into play! These also work well to promote a growth mindset.
Would you prefer a Thanksgiving turkey math center? Check out this turkey math center!
Or maybe you’re on the lookout for a Halloween math center. If so, check out this Halloween cat math center!
Students with special needs also do well with these once they understand the concept. Any student that needs a lesson in perseverance will benefit from these puzzles. With this fun game format your students will stay engaged while practicing necessary skills!
Just print and quickly cut on the lines (or simply print the NO PREP option) and you have instant pumpkin math centers that make skill practice fun and engaging. If you have some extra time, let your first, second, or third graders decorate the finished pumpkin. These colored masterpieces can then be used as artwork for the classroom, to help decorate a bulletin board, or be hung in the hallway to add some festive art flair. (And no administrator complaints since it’s an academic activity!)
Homeschool Families: You’re going to love these puzzles as a last minute, print and go resource! The next time you have a crazy hectic home school day – grab, download, and go! You’ll instantly get your sanity back, fit in some academic work, AND have fun at the same time.
Answer key included! Correcting is easy when you use the original fully formed pumpkin to ensure all the numbers are in the correct order and the shape is fully created.
Want to receive updates every time I post a new resource? Click here to follow my store now!
Thanks for looking!
Here are some other great Fall Math Centers you can use for games or activities with your class!
Fall Math Activities: Division Pumpkin Puzzles
Fall Math Activities: Subtraction Pumpkin Puzzles
Fall Math Centers: Addition Pumpkin Puzzles
Fall Math Games: Adding and Subtracting within 1000
And if you want great fall, Halloween, or Thanksgiving literacy centers – check these out!
Fall Literacy Centers Irregular Plural Nouns Puzzles
Fall Literacy Centers | Antonyms Pumpkin Puzzle
Fall Literacy Centers | Pumpkin Puzzles
Fall Literacy Centers | Synonyms Pumpkin Puzzle
Fall Literacy Centers: Contractions
Fall Literacy Centers: Irregular Verbs Pumpkin Puzzles